Hardwood floor sanding is not a simple procedure. It involves multiple steps with different sanding machines and apparatuses. Floor sanding is a crucial step in floor replacement or installation. The craftsmanship imparted in the sanding process brings out the true luxury of the house. We do not recommend DIY(do it yourself) floor sanding as it is dangerous and can result in injuries. There is a need to understand different techniques used in floor sanding.
Following are some floor sanding machines and their overview to get a sound knowledge about each of them:
A drum sander is an electrically generated sanding machine for large wooden areas. It is used for wide wooden planks and boards. It is composed of a large sheet of sandpaper wrapped around a drum. A drum sander sands the floor to the required consistent thickness.
Drum sand has a large sheet of sandpaper wrapped around a drum made of metal. It works by rotating at high speed (1500 to 3000 RPM). Sanding of the floor is done by abrasion of the wood through sandpaper.
- Saves time- it saves time by quickly sanding large surface hardwood floors.
- Reduces wood thickness- The thickness of the wood can be reduced by passing the wood multiple times through a drum sander.
- Easy to operate– Built-in automatic power-off switching system makes it easy to use. Setting up a drum sander is easy and can be moved easily from one place to another.
Apart from the various benefits of a drum sander, there are limitations to its use.
- The initial cost is high. They are heavy-duty machines and are made for sanding large volumes of wood.
- Requires continuous maintenance. Considering the high load of work, machine checking before each use is mandatory. A conveyor belt that feeds the wood to the sander should be aligned to perform well.
As the name implies, edge sander is used for sanding the edges of tables, counters, and timber floors. It is an electrical device with efficacy almost comparable to a drum sander. Edge sander also comes in the handheld form to sand the smooth edges up to the required thickness.
It consists of a sandpaper belt wrapped around two drums. As the machine starts, the drum rotation makes the sandpaper belt move like a conveyor belt. As the wood passes against the sandpaper belt, it sands the wood a smooth edge.
- Restoring old furniture– Old artifacts and furniture that require minimum sanding can be restored efficiently. Edge sander smoothly sands the imperfections, giving a new look to the old furniture item.
- Sanding floorboard corners– The chief use of an edge sander is to give a fine finish to the floor edges that cannot be obtained through a drum sander.
- Consistency in dimensions– Floor consistency is the top priority of the homeowners. After sanding through the drum sander, the edge sander gives the final finish to the floor.
Floor sanding and polishing are the services your beautiful timber floors require annually. All the equipment used in the sanding process is of extreme value. It is necessary to use well-maintained machinery that works perfectly to avoid damage to the house flooring. The Budget Floor Sanding team provides unmatched services to carefully sand and polish your beautiful timber floors with up-to-date machinery. We believe in keeping the floor original by doing our work with perfection and commitment.
Call us now for any queries at 0418 882 678